How do I know what units to enrol into each semester?

Each course has a recommended course plan. It’s not compulsory, but if you follow it you will graduate as expected without any hiccups. You can search for your course structure here.

What do I do if I want to change my enrolment after the semester starts?

The first thing to do is to determine what date you are going to change your enrolment, as the date will have an enormous impact on your academic record.

If you cancel a unit in the first two weeks of semester then the units will be deleted from your record and you will be regarded as never having started them. They will just disappear off your transcript, and you won’t have to pay for the unit. You can also add units during this time.

If you cancel before 2/3 of the way through the semester a grade of “Withdrawn” will be awarded. A grade of withdrawn is not counted in calculating your GPA, but you will still have to pay for the unit. You can also no longer add units to your enrolment after this time.

If you cancel after 2/3 of the way through the semester then you will be awarded the grade “Withdrawn – Failure” which counts as a 1 (fail grade) to your GPA. You will also have to pay for the unit.

These dates are called “census dates” and can be found on the QUT website.

I withdrew too late and got a fail, what can I do?

See our Withdrawal Without Academic or Financial Penalty article.

What different enrolment options do I have?

QUT have five attendance modes:


You are classified as full-time if you are enrolled in 75% or more of the standard credit points for a full time semester (usually 3 subjects).

Your course may have a maximum amount of subjects you can enrol in at once. Usually it’s 60 credit points. Check with your school.


You are part-time if you enrol in less than 75% of the full-time standard credit points for the semester (usually less than 3 subjects).

Your course may have a minimum amount of subjects you can enrol in. Check with your school.

There are also time limits for how long you may take to complete your degree. Generally it’s 10 years.


You are regarded as internal if you undertake all your units of study through regular attendance at QUT.


You are regarded as external if you undertake all your units of study through external attendance schools and online.


You are classified as being a multi-modal student if you undertake at least one unit of study internally and one unit of study externally.

When enrolling, you need to think about which of the above styles suit you. Many students who work a substantial amount of hours will study part time, and those who live far away from uni often choose to study externally.

Can I do two degrees at QUT at once?

If you’re that ambitious, of course you can! However, between the two courses you may not exceed 60 credit points (usually 5 subjects). If you do really want to take more than a 60 credit point load, you can ask the Unit Coordinator of each subsequent unit and they may grant you permission to exceed your course load.

I need help.

If you have concerns with your enrolment you should discuss your problem with the Student Centre. Remember to get any decision made about enrolments in writing so you can rely on it later.

If you do not get your situation resolved, or do not like the outcome, contact the Guild’s Student Rights Hub for assistance. We can liaise with the University on your behalf to get you the best outcome.

Also contact us if you need help with deciding the best mode for you; we can give you advice and assistance.