Tax Help Program
There will be no Tax Help session dates in 2017. Instead you can book an appointment with an ATO volunteer at https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Lodging-your-tax-return/Tax-Help-program/ or call 13 28 61 for your nearest Tax Help Centre
Check out some FAQ’s below for general tax enquiries:
- To earn a bit of cash I have started doing some work as an Uber Driver. I only do it now and again and earn very little, I don’t need to let the tax office know do I?
- I have started working at my local coffee shop between study. I’m not an Australian Resident though, so I don’t need to lodge a tax return or declare this information.
- I have come from China to study and am not an Australian Citizen, therefore, I do not need to declare any of my foreign income in my tax return.
- I have started my first job, but I had to outlay some money to get the job. I paid someone to prepare my resume and I also had to get a police check – are these expenses deductable?
- I’ve been advised by my accountant that I can claim my study expenses as they relate directly to my employment. I’ve already brought some new shoes and looking at a new car because I should get a really big refund; my degree fees alone are $10,000.
- My payslip says that my work has withheld $2,000 of my pay for HELP but when I check my HELP balance it is still the same. Is this because my work hasn’t paid it to the tax office yet? Should I notify someone?
- I just lodged my tax return and had a huge bill!! I normally get refunds but now I have started studying, could this be why?
- I have just started a new job in Australia, although I am only a temporary resident. My employer has asked for my Superannuation Details to make the compulsory super payments too but I do not have a Super fund. Do I need to have one even though I am a non-resident? Who should I set one up with?