According to the Code of Best Practise for those involved with research, you as a student are required to:
- become familiar and comply with Regulations governing the degree, and with any other relevant University and faculty policies;
- discuss with the supervisor the type of guidance and comment considered most helpful, and agree to and maintain a schedule of meetings which will ensure regular contact;
- take the initiative in raising problems or difficulties (however elementary they seem) and sharing responsibility for seeking solutions;
- maintain the progress of the work in accordance with the stages agreed with the supervisor, allowing time for comments;
- provide formal reports required of you by the University;
- follow, at all times, safe working practices relevant to the field of research, and adhere to the health and safety guidelines of the University and other relevant bodies;
- follow ethical practices;
- follow University policy on intellectual property;
- utilise the resources, facilities and opportunities provided by the faculty to facilitate progress in the research, integrate into the intellectual community provided by the faculty, and acquire or improve the skills and knowledge required for completion of the project;
- ensure that original data are recorded in a durable and appropriately referenced form and stored safely for a period appropriate to the discipline and not less than 5 years;
- prepare the thesis for examination, including arranging for its typing, proof-reading and binding and, where appropriate, consulting the supervisor regarding matters of style and presentation, according to Regulations.
- independently and with the assistance of supervisors and others, seek to develop the generic capabilities as described in QUT policy;
- maintain academic integrity at all times.
What happens if I don’t comply?
If you don’t comply with the above provisions. The University in some circumstances may make allegations of student misconduct. See our Research Student Misconduct article for more information.