Welcome back to what will be another EPIC year at QUT. I hope the holidays have treated you well and all of you are ready to take on 2017. Having come from Longreach, it is amazing to see how the university continues to build momentum in providing students with real world opportunities. Our job at the Guild is to make sure that your time at QUT is the best it can possibly be. My best advice for any student would be to remember that, although your studies are vital, it is equally important to take advantage of all that is on offer at QUT.
That’s why myself and the rest of the QUT Guild Executive and Staff have been working flat-out over the summer to make sure we go above and beyond to bring you more clubs on campus, a competitive yet fun social sport competition and an Academic Advocacy service that fights for your rights on campus. We are available all year round and are always out during the exam periods with our exam support stalls, chill-out spaces and who could forget the puppies and pancakes featuring adorable puppies, farmyard animals and some tasty pancakes smothered in nutella to make your exam block a little more comforting.
We here at the Guild also recognize that university can also be quite daunting for those new to campus, so to make it a little more bearable I have provided you with my top tips for O-week to make sure you’re set for 2017:
- Make sure you get your tickets to the World’s Largest Toga Party, as it will surely be a night to remember.
- I would definitely recommend signing up to as many clubs and societies on campus as they are the heart and soul of Campus Culture and a great way to meet your new best mates. There is now officially over 160 clubs on campus who all love to socialise by running thousands of events over the semester.
- Thirdly make sure you check out all that the Student Rights Hub has to offer. From support stalls to stress relief, the Guild is here to help. If you are ever having any issues with the university, feel free to contact the QUT Guild’s Academic WINGMAN.
- I would encourage everyone to go like the QUT Guild on Facebook to make sure you stay up to date with all the campus news and events for the year ahead.
- Meet new people and enjoy the ride!
In saying that, I look forward to meeting you over a sneaky bevvie in the Botanic Bar – Australia’s number one uni bar! I know for a fact that that place pours more beers in 12 months than most small towns in Country Queensland. Finally, I hope you all have a wonderful year and look forward to meeting you. Please feel free to give me a yell either over Facebook or email if you are ever in need of anything uni related.
Cheers and get KEEN for 2017.